Chat length bug

Instead of creating a thread for each new minor thing, here’s a bug report thread!

New discovery: with the new chat things being pushed forward, I noticed one thing while trying to send a long copy/pasted message from an article. The message I sent is truncated because it hit character limit, but this is what I sent:

Gabriel’s Genesis bandmate Phil Collins was playing the drums as usual when his beats were accidentally picked up by the microphone used by audio engineers to talk to the band. That microphone wasn’t meant to record music—its heavy compressors were designed to turn down loud sounds while amplifying quiet ones. The equipment also utilized a noise gate, which meant the recorded sounds were cut off shortly after they started. The result was a bright, fleeting percussive sound unlike anything heard in popular

When I hit enter, nothing sends. There IS a link in the copy-paste that I’ve reformatted to remove it, so maybe that was the issue? Here it is with the link un-changed:

Gabriel’s Genesis bandmate Phil Collins was playing the drums as usual when his beats were accidentally picked up by the microphone used by audio engineers to talk to the band. That microphone wasn’t meant to record music—its heavy compressors were designed to turn down loud sounds while amplifying quiet ones. The equipment also utilized a noise gate, which meant the recorded sounds were cut off shortly after they started. The result was a bright, fleeting percussive sound unlike anything heard in popular

edit: removing link has no change

1 Like

Fixed. The server character limit for a silent message drop (…) was maddeningly just a few characters under the client’s chat textarea max length.

Silent drop is less than ideal, so I changed this to only truncate the string if > limit, before any string processing happens, instead of blackholing.

edit: I also modified the client’s chat length limits to actually reflect the truncation point. :unsmith:

Instead of creating a thread for each new minor thing, here’s a bug report thread!

Can we keep with individual threads for bug reports for now? It gives me a cleaner view in abusing the forum as a makeshift issue tracker.

Sure thing, I’ve renamed the thread and unpinned it :thumbs: