How to Cams like a "Pro"!

PART ONE: THE SHIT YOU NEED

Want to spice up your cam game, but don’t know where to start? Well, I’m not a professional, and I’m entirely self-taught, but I might be able to help you out a bit.

Good news is that you don’t really need super fancy or expensive equipment, though obviously you’ll get better results with better stuff. Another piece of good news is that you likely already have most of what you need, and even if you don’t, there are pretty cheap workarounds.

So you’re obviously gonna need a camera and a laptop/pc, and optionally a green screen [more on that later.] You’ve probably already got some sort of webcam, but they’re also pretty inexpensive. As long as your cell phone isn’t a fossil, you could also probably use it as a “web cam.” You might even have some sort of digital camera laying around that you could use. I use a webcam, but there are definitely guides out there on how to set up your cell phone/camera for this.

Having a more powerful computer definitely helps out a lot, because video processing is kinda taxing, but you could probably still pull off some pretty fun stuff with older systems. You’ll need a form of broadcasting software to really start makin’ video magic. As far as I can tell, most twitch/youtubers use a free program called OBS, which I also use. In the next post I’ll go over OBS a little more for basic and advanced effects. It’s worth noting that I’m sure there are other programs out there that are popular, and while they’re probably a bit different than OBS, a lot of the ideas I’ll share should apply to other programs, too.

A green screen is kinda optional, since if you have a real beefy gpu, you probably have an option that automatically removes backgrounds. But I don’t think this AI stuff looks as good as a greenscreen [yet,] and it also chews up gpu power that you could be using to turn yourself into a psychedelic rainbow peacock. So even if you’ve got a top of the line video card, it’s probably a pretty good idea to pick up, or create, your own green screen. For one, you can get a pretty legit one for pretty cheap. In my case, I happened to have a bed sheet that’s close to the color of blue they also use for “green” screen. You could also just pick up some neon green poster board on the cheap, and that’ll work well enough.

To go with your green screen, you’re also gonna want some good lighting. You want your green screen to have a good even lighting. Setting up the lights for yourself is also important. You gotta find the right little Goldilocks zone of lighting, because having too much light is just as bad as too little, and it’ll probably take you a little experimentation to lock in the lighting so everything looks good. Fortunately you can pick up those ring lights pretty cheaply, or try out different light bulbs to see what works.

with that, you’ve got pretty much everything you need to cam like a pro. if you don’t already have one, you might as well pick up a microphone too, so that you can become a world famous twitch streamer, or make that three hour deep dive video essay on brotherman bill. just remember that i taught you everything you know, and that i get 95% of whatever you make. but lemme know if you have any questions i might be able to help you with.

In the next part, I’ll get into OBS, and start teaching you the real magic.

2 Likes

PART TWO: Oh, BS

Ok, you got everything you need? Nice. Let’s put that shit to use.

So, firstly, you’ll want to download and install OBS. You should be able to google it pretty easily. Then, we’ll want to set up your camera. In the “sources” section, hit the + sign, then choose the “video capture device” option. if it didn’t already come up, select your webcam in the device list. Then you’ll want to “configure video.” This will be different for every camera, but you’ll want to try and tweak your settings to try and make everything nice.

Alright, so now you should have a “scene” with your camera capturing footage. Next you’ll wanna right click “video capture device” and then choose “filters.” Hit the + button on “effect filters.” First, we’re going to “color correction,” which should bring up a bunch of sliders. Fuck around with these sliders until you’re pretty happy with how you look. And fortunately if you think you’ve fucked up too badly on the settings and want to go back, there’s a “Defaults” button at the bottom.

Next, where we added “color correction,” we’re also gonna add “Chroma Key.” This is what will give us the “green screen effect” where it automatically wipes out a specific color of green/blue/whatever. So choose your “key color type,” you can even choose a custom color, not just blue or green. Then you’ll want to mess around with the sliders so that your green screen is deleted, and you’re left with a nice clean cutout of yourself.

So now you should have a “scene” with a color corrected version of you against a blank background. This is where the fun really starts happening. But first, I should teach you how to get all this workin’ on Goontube Cams. In the bottom right side of your screen, you should see a “start virtual camera” option [if not, you might need to go into the top “tools” bar.] This creates a new camera on your computer. So then you login to goontube if you aren’t already, select cams, then select “obs-virtual-camera” or something like that, as your cam source. Depending on which internet browser you use, you might have to fuck with your settings to get this to show up. But if everything worked as it should, you should know be broadcasting your color corrected version of yourself on a blank background to the goontubes.

You basically have the keys to the kingdom now on how to do cool stuff with OBS, and in the next post, I’ll go over some more advanced tips and tricks. But I want to end this post on a couple quick little basic tricks.

First, is that you can resize and move your “video capture device”'s placement in the middle of the screen. If you click on the video capture device display in the middle of the screen, you should see a red outline with some small red boxes at the corners and bisections. click and drag those red boxes to resize or reflect your video capture device. if you hold “alt” and click/drag those red boxes, you can crop out shit from your video capture device [this applies to pretty much everything you can add]

You should see a “scene” window in the lower left. With the + button, you can create a new scene. This function is pretty key to be able to switch between fun effects and stack fun effects on top of each other. But it’s a pretty good idea to keep your color corrected version of yourself on a blank background a scene by itself. Because if you fuck around with your webcam directly, it can potentially fuck up other scenes you’ll have set up later. Basically, it’s how we’ll be able to apply a bunch of different effects to our camera at the same time. In your newly created scene, in the “Sources” window, if you hit the + button [just like you did when you were setting up your video capture device,] this time, instead we’re going to add a “scene” within this “scene.” Select your color corrected version of yourself against a blank background scene. now in the “scenes” window, if you right click your new scene and select “filters.” You can now do things to add filters to this “scene” with your webcam in it, but it won’t fuck up your webcam settings in other scenes. That may have seemed a bit advanced and weird, but it’s probably better to try and wrap your brain around it now.

You may have noticed in the “sources” window, when you hit the + button, you saw a lot more options than just “video capture device” and “scene”. This is where a lot of the magic happens. You can add videos, images, colors, text, input display captures, waveform visualizers, all sorts of shit to your scene! It’s also important to note that on the bottom of the “sources” window, there should be a couple buttons that point up and down. This is how you modify how everything is “stacked” in the scene. so if you want something overlapping on top of your video capture device scene, you’ll want the thing you added to be above your video capture device, and vice versa.

That pretty much covers it for the basics. with this, you should be starting to understand the potential and possibilities that await you. I apologize if anything has been unclear or confusing so far. I’ve never really typed up a guide like this before, but just let me know if you have any questions. In the next post, I’ll start going over some of the more advanced tips I’ve picked up, and give you a taste of how deep the rabbit hole can go.

2 Likes

PART THREE: INFINITY

With the knowledge you have already gained, you can do some pretty cool stuff. But now we’re gonna be digging much deeper below the surface.

A lot of you have probably already started this next step, but since you have the basics down, you should probably just start pokin’ around into all the different settings and options around. keep fuckin’ around with all the sliders. you can do some pretty surprisingly cool stuff if you’re clever with all the default stuff in OBS.

Which brings us to Plug Ins! You can do a whole lot in vanilla OBS, but not everything. And while you still can’t do everything with Plug Ins, it definitely expands your horizons. If there’s something you’d like to be able to do, but can’t figure it out, if you google it, you’ll likely either find a solution or a plug in that solves it.

You’re probably familiar with snapchat filters. You can use 'em in OBS! it’s a little tricky, but not bad. You’re gonna want to download “Snap Camera.” Install it. Then, with OBS closed [!] open Snap Camera. Then in Snap Camera, you can fuck around and use all sorts of dumb filters. With Snap Camera still open, open OBS. Then in a scene, you’ll want to add a new video capture device. this time, instead of choosing your webcam, we’re going to be choosing “Snap camera” [or whatever it defaults to.] Now you can combine the powers of OBS and silly filters!

That was a little shorter than I intended, but I think a good way to illustrate some advanced stuff would be to have a post where I breakdown how exactly i pull off a relatively complicated effect.

2 Likes

PART FOUR: How to Peacock

Now I’m gonna tell you exactly how I created the crazy rainbow peacock effect.
First, you need to create 7 scenes, one for Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet. Within each scene, you’ll just put your color corrected background removed scene. and then, clicking on the name of each individual scene, you’re going to add a color correction effect filter and a render delay filter. In the color correction, go to “color multiply” and select a color for red. i used #ff0004. In “render delay” change it to “100 ms”. Then go to your orange scene, color multiply to orange, render delay to 200 ms. Repeat the process for each color scene, adding 100 ms to each render delay in each progressive color. This video shows what all this does.

Now create a new scene we’ll call “arc”. in the sources, add a scene of your green screened webcam, and add all the other rainbow scenes you just created. in sources, right click the red scene, and select “transform” then “edit transform.” Change rotation to 10 degrees. Repeat the same process for all the colors, adding 10 degrees each time. reposition each color scene so that it makes a nice arc. also progressively resize each color so it’s a little smaller.

now you can create yet another new scene that we’ll call “super arc.” In this new scene, we’ll add seven or eight versions of the scene “arc”. we’ll want the top scene to be the smallest, getting bigger as we go lower, adding to the cool arc effect.

now this is a little overkill, but from there, i created 7 more new scenes. calling them “red arc”, “orange arc”, etc. you can speed the process along by “copying” and “pasting” transformations.

So then you create yet another scene called “mega arc”. In this one we put our “arc” scene as well as all the colored arcs, and adjusting the size of the different scenes like before.

then we create a scene called “mega arc 2”. this scene just has the “mega arc” scene within it, but reflected horizontally.

THEN WE CAN CREATE THE “MEGA MIRROR ARC”. in this scene, we put in both the mega arc and mega arc 2 scenes, and place them side by side so they join in the middle. There are a few more plug in effects in there, but that’s the basic idea

So there you have it. You now know how to Goontube Cam Like A Pro. Again, let me know if you have any questions.
I look forward to seeing the wacky shit you guys come up with!

3 Likes